See something you like on this page? Click on it to shop!
Ways to Encourage Waste Free Lunches in SchoolsShare
Ways to Encourage Waste Free Lunches in Schools
We’ve compiled tips, facts and advice on cutting back on lunchtime waste, making it easy for you to spread the word to your school, teachers and other parents. Waste-free lunches are a simple way to reduce consumption on a daily basis, helping you preserve natural resources and save money. Plus, it encourages healthy eating habits. Simply put, the cumulative effect is enormous!
In this resource you will find:
- Eliminating disposable packaging and single-serving items can save families $250 a year. (Wastefreelunches.org)
- 40 billion plastic utensils are used every year in just the United States. The majority of these are thrown out after just one use. (Worldcentric.org)
- Families spend $85 a year on disposable plastic baggies. (Sierra Club)
- Each child who brings a brown bag lunch to school every day generates 67 pounds of waste by the end of the school year. (EPA)
Read more lunch facts here.
The 5 Steps to a Waste-free Lunch
- Replace paper bags with reusable lunch bags.
- Use reusable food containers to eliminate single-serve packaging.
- Switch from plastic baggies to reusable snack & sandwich bags.
- Reusable napkins, utensils and even straws replace their disposable counterparts.
- Kick the bottled water and juice habit with a reusable water bottle.
Read more about the 5 steps & watch our video here.
Where Can I Find Safe, Reusable Lunch Items?
Where Can I Find Ideas for Packing Healthy Lunches?
Ways to Spread the Word
Here are a few high-impact things you can do today:
- Encourage your school to link to this page on its website
- Tell them to mention this page in their e-mail newsletter and on Facebook and Twitter
- Recommend this page as a resource for your favorite blogger, editor or writer
- Write a blog post, or share this page on your favorite forums
- Use the sharing buttons above to send the message to your Facebook friends, Twitter followers and more